Crossing Borders Writers translated into Italian


Stephen Mugambi, The Hand of God



mugambiWriting for children has been my love from an early age. I have had more than ten short children’s stories published in magazines and school readers. I was delighted to join Crossing Borders and to be linked-up with a wonderful mentor, Catherine Johnson (You’re wonderful, Catherine; it’s just in my nature to howl and cry!). Crossing Borders has sharpened my writing skills and boosted my self-confidence as a writer. I wrote a sequel to my first children’s novel in record time!

I studied at the University of Nairobi and graduated with a BSc degree that would have seen me work in a beer factory. I instead opted for an editor’s job with a children’s magazine in Nairobi. I later joined ANPPCAN, a pan-African children’s rights NGO. I currently work for a Kenyan NGO that promotes creative writing by women and girls.

The Hand of God is a work of fiction abridged from a short story entitled Gods of a Sacred Mountain. The original story was 2,800 words long and was developed for submission to BBC Radio 3, following an invitation by Elizabeth Allard of BBC to Crossing Borders participants to submit short stories to be read to a UK radio audience.

On 4th October 2006, Crossing Borders Magazine reported that Stephen had won second place in the prestigious Kenyan literary award: the Wahome Mutahi Literary Prize for his first novel Wait for me, Angela (Kenya Literature Bureau).  The first prize was won by Onduko bw'Atebe for his book Verdict of Death.  The bi-annual prize is run by the Kenya Publishers Association, an umbrella body of Kenyan publishers which, recognises writers who specialise in humour.



Published originally in the British Council magazine, Crossing Borders


Italian translation published in the online magazine Buràn

The Hand of God

Excerpt from Story entitled Gods of a Sacred Mountain by Stephen Mugambi

'Don’t!’ Sara said as she sprung up from her sleep to sit bolt upright. She was covered in sweat. Her breathing came in quick bursts. She was disoriented but relieved. Knowing the huge snake-like reptile was not for real more than made up for the mental confusion of bursting out of a nightmare straight into pitch darkness. She immediately but cautiously felt about for the woolly hide covers that she and her husband used to keep away the July cold. 

Fate was on Sara’s side. Kiambati, her husband of five years, had not stirred. He strongly objected to being disturbed from his sleep and had not taken kindly to the spate of nightmares that now plagued her. They had woken him up more than seven times in the recent past, putting her continued marriage to him in serious jeopardy.

Kiambati had renewed his threats of customary divorce – for matrimonial distress.

Thoughts of life as a customary divorcee, which would in effect turn her into an outcast amongst her own people, swirled through Sara’s mind as she carefully pulled up the two covers and, as lightly and noiselessly as she could, placed them back on her husband. 

She then held her breath and inched her body back onto her side of the bed. She did not cover herself immediately. She would brave the biting cold for a while; to give her husband time to fall back into a deep sleep. He would then not be disturbed when she covered herself.

Her plan did not work. Something in Kiambati’s breathing disturbed her. Maybe he was not asleep after all.

‘I am going to say this for the very last time,’ Kiambati growled as he turned over to face her. He rested the half-raised head on the knuckles of his clenched left hand, digging a thick elbow into the sisal bed mat for support.
‘I have had it living with a possessed woman,’ he said. ‘I will not share a roof, let alone a bed, with a woman that our ancestors are clearly upset with. I am giving you until the New Moon to ensure you’re cleansed of your demons or I’m sending you straight to Muga. It is either your blood of Jesus or Muga, or you’re back to your father and mother.’

It was the 100th threat of divorce. Unless Sara was somehow cured of her nightmares, or she agreed to see Muga – the village medicine man and exorcist – she would be a divorcee in two weeks.

Seeking help from Muga was not a viable option. She would rather the divorce. Not only did she not have faith in the village medicine man, it was against the teachings of her church to consult a traditional healer.
‘I’m sorry to have disturbed you,’ she pleaded. ‘Please, let’s talk about my treatment in the morning.’

‘There is nothing to talk about,’ Kiambati said. ‘What I’ve said is final; not unless I’m no longer the head of this household.’ He turned over and went back to sleep.

* * *

Sara had lived through many threats of divorce. She was first put on notice barely a year into her marriage, after it became evident she had some fertility problems. 12 months had gone by without anything to show for her being married to the Kings African Riffles Catering Officer, Grade 3.

Luckily for Sara, her fortunes changed on the 13th month. The Lord finally looked at her with favour. She was heavy with child. Her marriage was saved. Or was it?

The first three months of pregnancy presented Sara with several challenges, such as the constantly upset stomach, but she bravely and cheerfully bore them. The discomforts gradually subsided from the fourth month and the pregnancy progressed to full term without any further difficulties.

Sara spent the nine hours of labour that preceded the birth of her first child at Meru Mission Hospital, at the foot of Mt Kenya. The last of the nine hours – and practically every minute after that – was more painful than she had ever anticipated, but the actual delivery was without any complications, with the new-born baby giving a healthy cry soon after.

Moments later, alarm bells started ringing in Sara’s mind. The doctor was taking a little too long to study the area between the baby’s legs. Surely, there was nothing to telling the sex of a newborn baby, was there? What could be holding the doctor’s attention?

‘Boy or girl?’ the doctor asked, now presenting the baby to Sara for her inspection.

‘Boy,’ Sara said at once, but not without some difficulty. She had not recovered fully from the strain. She was baffled. The baby’s sex was obvious. What kind of doctors did the mission hospital assign to the delivery ward?

‘Boy?’ the doctor queried.

Was this doctor daft or what? Of course it was a boy. Did he think being a first-time mother made her incapable of telling a baby boy when she saw one? Not with its tiny manhood sticking out from between the legs for all to see.

‘Yes,’ Sara said. But wait a minute. A closer look might be in order. Yes, there was something a wee bit unusual about that area below the tiny manhood. Sara was alarmed. Something was amiss, and very seriously so. The change in her facial expression told the doctor she had seen what he wanted her to see.

‘You’re right about what you see,’ he said. ‘The baby’s not a boy. It’s a girl.’

‘It’s a girl?’ Sara asked. ‘What about the… the…’

‘The little penis?’ the doctor finished the sentence for her. ‘It only looks like one, but it is not,’ he went on. ‘It also looks a bit odd on a girl, but it’s nothing to worry about.’ He held out the baby’s left arm for the nurse to put an identification band on it. The nurse then took the baby away to be bathed.

‘Let’s finish with the more urgent matters first,’ the doctor said, shifting his attention back to the mother. ‘I’ll explain about the baby later.’

* * *

It took the doctor about ten minutes to explain the newborn’s condition. Fortunately for Sara, her husband was now present to hear what he said.

‘Your daughter has a rare medical condition known as female genital hypertrophy,’ the doctor said. ‘Some people refer to the condition – and many similar ones – as ‘ambiguous genitalia’, but that’s misleading. There is nothing ambiguous about female genital hypertrophy.’

‘What’s more,’ the doctor added, ‘…and this is probably the best news about your daughter’s condition; it does not, in almost a hundred percent of cases, present any serious medical implications.’ He paused to playfully touch the baby on the cheek.

‘The phallus – as the little outgrowth is known – is very easily removed,’ the doctor continued. ‘However, whether it is removed or not will not affect your daughter’s health. But I strongly advise that you have it removed and that you have this done before the baby is three years old.’

Sara had suppressed several questions but she had to get the doctor said about age right. ‘Sorry, what did you say about three years?’ she asked.

 ‘I said it is important to have the phallus removed before the baby is three years old. Then she does not recall having it. It also rules out the possibility of her developing any doubts about her sexuality later in life. Children born with a phallus have been known to develop doubts about their sexuality at puberty or thereafter, but only if the phallus is not removed or it is removed after three years of age. Such doubts sometimes result in serious psychological problems...’

Sara was already thinking how soon she would want her daughter, now named Kangai, or ‘God’s gift’, to be operated on...

* * *

‘You want your daughter operated on?’ Kiambati said to Sara two months later. The question was meant to mock her. A feeble nod was her only reply.

‘Then take her to Mtaani,’ her husband continued. ‘Or have you become so ignorant of our customs you no longer know it’s only Mtaani who can touch my daughter in the way you propose?’ 

Sara was devastated. Mtaani was the traditional female circumciser. The only operation Kiambati would allow on Kangai was circumcision. How had the doctor’s simple operation turned into the increasingly frowned-on traditional practice? She would never bring up the issue of the operation again.

* * *


Sara’s retreat into silence served her well for two years and nine months. Then her daughter started asking some really hard questions.

It first happened while she was bathing her. Kangai had just shed off her clothes and stepped onto the outdoor wash basin. Suddenly, she bent forward, pointed at the little outgrowth in her private parts and asked what it was. Taken by surprise and without a ready answer, Sara said the first thing that came to her mind.

‘That’s just a little… a little snake,’ she said. ‘A harmless little snake. Don’t let it bother you.’

‘Judy does not have a little snake,’ Kangai said. Judy was her playmate.

‘Some people have one and others don’t,’ Sara said. ‘Could you stand up straight; I can’t bathe you when you’re all bent like a walking stick.’

Kangai did not ask any further questions. Two days later, she led Judy, her playmate, to behind the house. Her mother’s kitchen knife was in one hand. She had seen her mother leave on some errand moments earlier. They would be finished with the knife long before she got back.

‘I will close my eyes and count to three,’ Kangai said to her friend. They had gone over the plan twice before but she was wary of surprises. ‘When I get to three, you quickly cut.’

‘Okay,’ Judy said, the look on her face brave but the nod of the head rather uncertain. She was not too sure of the whole thing. What if there was blood? Wouldn’t Kangai’s mother be angry with them both?

Kangai rolled up her skirt to reveal the unwelcome ‘snake’. Her mother had said it was harmless but it was unwelcome all the same. She would rather it was not there. None of her friends had one... ‘Ready?’ she asked.

Judy nodded her head again and steadied her grip on the kitchen knife.

‘Okay,’ Kangai said and closed her eyes. ‘One… Two… Three…’ Nothing. There was the cold touch of Judy’s fingers but nothing more. Then came the searing pain…

Judy panicked. She had never heard a louder scream. Kangai had promised not to cry. She had also said there would be no blood. Now she had blood even in her eyes. She dropped the bloodied knife and ran off.

It was a neighbour who responded to the loud wails. She found Kangai on her back, writhing in pain. Her skirt and legs were covered in blood. What had happened? she wondered. Had the little girl been sexually assaulted? Had she been bitten by a wild animal? She gathered her up and ran off in the direction of the mission hospital.

* * *

It was two hours later that Sara heard what had happened. By the time she got to the hospital, Kangai had been operated on to remove the mutilated phallus.
Sara was very relieved to learn the operation had been a success. She was also overwhelmed by guilt. She was to blame. Her thoughtless words… They were responsible for the emergency. It was the day that the nightmares began, most of which had her fighting off fierce, snake-like reptiles that attacked her daughter.

Kangai was discharged from hospital two days later. Her healing process did not present any major challenges, save for the nappy-like bandage change that she required with every short call. The bandage changes came to an end after two weeks, as did Sara’s nightmares.

Kiambati was bewildered by it all. He would heed advice from the mission hospital doctor: to take Kangai to school and to give her mother more say in matters of her upbringing…



Copyright information: All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in or introduced to a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise) without prior written permission of the British Council. Any person who does any unauthorised act in relation to this publication may be liable to criminal prosecution and civil claims for damages.

La mano di Dio

di Stephen Mugambi, Kenya (traduzione di Rossella Cirigliano)

"No!” disse Sara, svegliandosi di soprassalto e mettendosi a sedere sul letto, madida di sudore e ansimante. Era disorientata ma sollevata: sapere che l’enorme rettile a forma di serpente non era reale era più che sufficiente a compensare la confusione mentale di piombare da un incubo direttamente nel buio pesto. In fretta ma con cautela cercò a tastoni le coperte di lana che lei e suo marito usavano per tenere lontano il freddo di luglio.

La fortuna fu dalla parte di Sara: Kiambati, suo marito da cinque anni, non si era mosso. Era molto infastidito quando veniva disturbato nel sonno e non aveva reagito con gentilezza al fiume di incubi che ora la tormentavano e che di recente lo avevano svegliato più di sette volte, compromettendo seriamente il matrimonio.

Kiambati aveva rinnovato le sue minacce di divorzio – per difficoltà coniugali.

I pensieri di una vita da divorziata, che l’avrebbe in effetti trasformata in un’emarginata tra la sua stessa gente, turbinavano nella mente di Sara mentre tirava su attentamente le due coperte e, più delicatamente che poteva, le rimetteva sul marito.
Poi trattenne il respiro e, con movimenti lenti, si spostò nella sua metà del letto. Non si coprì subito. Affrontò il freddo tagliente per un po’, per dare al marito il tempo di ricadere in un sonno profondo. In tal modo non sarebbe stato più disturbato quando si fosse coperta.

Il suo piano non funzionò; qualcosa nel respiro di Kiambati la turbò: forse non si era addormentato affatto.

“Te lo dico per l’ultima volta” Kiambati ringhiò, mentre si girava per guardarla. Posò la testa sollevata a metà sulle nocche del pugno sinistro, sprofondando pesantemente il gomito nella stuoia di agave.

“Ne ho abbastanza di vivere con una donna posseduta” disse. “Non dividerò il tetto, per non parlare del letto, con una donna per cui i nostri antenati sono chiaramente adirati. Ti do tempo fino alla Luna Nuova per essere sicuri che ti sarai purificata dai demoni, altrimenti ti mando dritta da Muga. O il tuo sangue è di Gesù o di Muga, o tornerai da tua madre e tuo padre”.

Era la centesima minaccia di divorzio. A meno che non fosse guarita dagli incubi o non acconsentisse a vedere Muga – il dottore del villaggio e esorcista – Sara sarebbe stata, di lì a due settimane, una divorziata.

Chiedere aiuto a Muga non era un’ipotesi fattibile. Avrebbe preferito il divorzio. Non solo non aveva fiducia nel dottore del villaggio, ma consultare un guaritore tradizionale era contro gli insegnamenti della sua chiesa.

“Mi dispiace di averti disturbato” supplicò. “Per favore, parliamone domattina”.

“Non c’è niente di cui parlare” disse Kiambati.

“Quello che ho detto è definitivo, finché sono io il capo di questa casa”. Si girò e riprese a dormire.

* * *

Sara aveva subito molte minacce di divorzio. Era stata messa sull’avviso per la prima volta appena un anno dopo il matrimonio, dopo che divenne evidente che aveva dei problemi di fertilità: erano passati 12 mesi senza che dalla sua unione con l’Ufficiale di terzo grado della Kings African Riffles derivassero conseguenze evidenti.

Fortunatamente per Sara, il tredicesimo mese il vento cambiò: il Signore le fece finalmente la grazia di rimanere incinta. Il matrimonio era salvo. O no?
I primi tre mesi di gravidanza sottoposero Sara a dure prove, come la nausea costante, che lei affrontò con coraggio e gioia. Dopo il quarto mese le indisposizioni pian piano passarono e la gravidanza proseguì senza ulteriori difficoltà fino al termine.

Sara passò le nove ore di travaglio che precedettero la nascita del suo primo figlio all’ospedale della missione di Meru, ai piedi del

Monte Kenya. L’ultima delle nove ore – e praticamente per ogni minuto successivo – fu più dolorosa di quanto si fosse aspettata, ma il parto vero e proprio non presentò alcuna complicazione e alla fine il neonato diede in un sano pianto.

Qualche istante dopo nella mente di Sara iniziarono a suonare dei campanelli d’allarme. Il dottore ci stava mettendo un po’ troppo a studiare l’area tra le gambe del neonato. E’ sicuramente facilissimo distinguere il sesso di un bimbo appena nato, no? Cosa poteva trattenere l’attenzione del dottore?

“Maschio o femmina?” chiese il dottore, porgendo il bimbo a Sara perché lo esaminasse.

“Maschio” disse subito Sara, ma non senza qualche difficoltà. Non si era rimessa del tutto dallo sforzo. Era sconcertata. Il sesso del bambino era ovvio.

Che razza di dottori assegnava l’ospedale della missione al reparto maternità?

“Maschio?” chiese il dottore.

Il dottore era matto o cosa? Certo che era un maschio. Credeva che essere madre per la prima volta la rendesse incapace di distinguere un maschio, quando ne vedeva uno? Non con quel piccolo membro virile che spiccava in bella vista in mezzo alle gambe.

“Sì” disse Sara. Ma aspetta un minuto. Meglio dare un’occhiata più da vicino. Sì, c’era qualcosa di un po’ insolito intorno all’area sotto il pisellino. Sara si allarmò. Qualcosa non quadrava, e di molto. Il cambiamento nella sua espressione fece capire al dottore che aveva visto ciò che lui voleva che vedesse.

“Ha visto bene” disse. “Il bimbo non è un maschio. È una femmina”.

“È una femmina?” chiese Sara. “Ma allora il…il…”
“Il piccolo pene?” il dottore finì la frase per lei. “Lo sembra, ma non lo è”. Continuò. “Sembra di certo un po’ strano in una femmina, ma non c’è nulla di cui preoccuparsi”. Allungò il braccio sinistro del neonato all’infermiera, affinché gli mettesse la targhetta identificativa. L’infermiera quindi portò via la bambina per farle il bagnetto.

“Finiamo prima con le cose più urgenti” disse il dottore, riportando l’attenzione sulla madre. “Le spiegherò dopo del bambino”.

* * *

Il dottore impiegò circa dieci minuti per spiegare la condizione del neonato. Fortunatamente per Sara, in quel momento suo marito era presente per ascoltare le parole del medico.

“Vostra figlia ha una rara condizione medica nota come ipertrofia genitale femminile” disse il dottore.

“Alcuni definiscono questa condizione – e molte altre simili – come ‘genitali ambigui’, ma è fuorviante. Non c’è niente di ambiguo nell’ipertrofia genitale femminile”.

“E per di più” aggiunse il dottore “…e probabilmente questa è la migliore notizia sulla condizione di vostra figlia, in quasi il cento per cento dei casi non presenta gravi conseguenze patologiche”. Si interruppe per toccare giocosamente la guancia della bimba.

“Il fallo – come è nota la piccola crescita – può essere asportato molto facilmente” continuò il dottore. “Comunque, se viene tolto o no, la salute di vostra figlia non ne sarà influenzata. Tuttavia consiglio vivamente di toglierlo e di farlo prima che la bambina abbia tre anni”.

Sara aveva evitato molte domande, ma doveva accertarsi di quello che il dottore aveva detto sull’età. “Scusi, cosa ha detto a proposito dei tre anni?” chiese.

“Ho detto che è importante asportare il fallo prima che la bimba abbia compiuto tre anni. Dopo non si ricorderà di averlo avuto. Ciò elimina anche la possibilità di sviluppare dubbi sulla sua sessualità più avanti nella vita. È noto che nella pubertà, o successivamente, le bambine nate con il fallo sviluppano dubbi sulla loro sessualità, ma solo se il fallo non viene tolto o viene tolto dopo i tre anni d’età. Tali dubbi talvolta portano a gravi disturbi psicologici…”

Sara stava già pensando che voleva che sua figlia, ora chiamata Kangai, o ‘Dono di Dio’, venisse operata presto…

* * *

“Vuoi che tua figlia venga operata?” Kiambati disse a Sara due mesi dopo. La domanda voleva metterla in ridicolo. Un debole cenno fu la sua unica risposta.

“Allora portala da Mtaani” continuò il marito. “O sei diventata così ignorante dei nostri usi che non sai più che solo Mtaani può toccare mia figlia nel modo che intendi tu?”

Sara era devastata. Mtaani era il circoncisore femminile. L’unica operazione che Kiambati avrebbe permesso su Kangai era la circoncisione. Come aveva fatto la semplice operazione del dottore a trasformarsi in quella pratica tradizionale sempre più disapprovata? Non avrebbe più sollevato di nuovo l’argomento dell’operazione.

* * *

Il ritiro di Sara nel silenzio andò bene per due anni e nove mesi. Poi sua figlia iniziò a fare delle domande davvero imbarazzanti.

Accadde per la prima volta mentre le faceva il bagno. Kangai si era appena tolta i vestiti e immersa nella bacinella all’aperto.

Improvvisamente si piegò in avanti, indicò la piccola crescita nelle parti intime e chiese cosa fosse. Presa di sorpresa e senza una pronta risposta, Sara disse la prima cosa che le venne in mente.

“È solo un piccolo… un piccolo serpente” disse. “Un innocuo piccolo serpente. Non preoccupartene”.

“Judy non ha un piccolo serpente” disse Kangai. Judy era la sua compagna di giochi.

“Alcuni ce l’hanno e altri no” disse Sara. “Potresti stare dritta? Non posso farti il bagno se sei tutta piegata come un bastone da passeggio”.

Kangai non fece altre domande. Due giorni dopo portò Judy, la sua compagna di giochi, dietro la casa, il coltello da cucina della madre in mano. Qualche minuto prima aveva visto la madre uscire per delle commissioni. Avrebbero finito con il coltello molto prima del suo ritorno.

“Chiudo gli occhi e conto fino a tre” disse Kangai alla sua amica. Avevano ripassato il piano per due volte, ma temeva sorprese. “Quando arrivo a tre, dai un taglio netto”.

“Okay” disse Judy, lo sguardo coraggioso ma il cenno del capo piuttosto incerto. Non era troppo sicura dell’intera faccenda. E se fosse uscito il sangue? La madre di Kangai non si sarebbe arrabbiata con tutte e due?

Kangai si arrotolò la gonna per svelare lo sgradevole ‘serpente’. Sua madre aveva detto che era innocuo, ma lei non lo voleva. Avrebbe preferito non ci fosse. Nessuna delle sue amiche ce l’aveva…

“Pronta?” chiese.

Judy annuì di nuovo e rinforzò la presa sul coltello da cucina.

“Okay” disse Kangai e chiuse gli occhi.

“Uno…due…tre…” Niente. Solo il tocco freddo delle dita di Judy, e nient’altro. Poi, arrivò il dolore bruciante…

Judy si fece prendere dal panico. Non aveva mai sentito un urlo più forte. Kangai aveva promesso di non urlare. Aveva anche detto che non ci sarebbe stato sangue. Ora aveva sangue persino negli occhi. Fece cadere il coltello insanguinato e corse via.
Fu un vicino di casa a reagire alle forti urla. Trovò Kangai supina, che si contorceva dal dolore, la gonna e le gambe coperte di sangue. Cosa era successo? Si chiese. La bambina era stata sessualmente aggredita? Era stata morsa da un animale selvaggio? La prese in braccio e corse in direzione dell’ospedale della missione.

Due ore dopo Sara apprese cosa era successo. Prima che la madre arrivasse all’ospedale, Kangai era stata operata per togliere il fallo mutilato. Sara fu molto sollevata nell’apprendere che l’operazione era andata bene. Era anche sopraffatta dal senso di colpa. Era colpa sua. Le sue parole avventate… erano le responsabili dell’incidente. Quello fu il giorno in cui iniziarono gli incubi, la maggior parte dei quali vedevano lei combattere contro rettili crudeli, a forma di serpente, che attaccavano sua figlia.

Due giorni dopo Kangai fu dimessa dall’ospedale. Il processo di guarigione non presentò grandi problemi, a parte il cambio della fasciatura a pannolino di cui aveva spesso bisogno. Dopo due settimane i cambi di fasciatura ebbero fine, così come gli incubi di Sara.

Kiambati rimase confuso da tutto ciò. D’ora in poi avrebbe prestato attenzione ai consigli del dottore dell’ospedale della missione: mandare Kangai a scuola e concedere alla madre più voce in capitolo sul modo giusto per crescerla.


Pubblicato per gentile concessione del British Council e del magazine Crossing Borders.




Centre for Transcultural Writing and Research, County College, Lancaster University, LA1 4YD, UK