Crossing Borders Writers translated into Italian


Ifeanyi Ajaegbo, Coming Home



ajaegboIfeanyi Ajaegbo is a writer and Culture and Development practioner. He is the Executive Director of Youth Now! (The Centre for Integrated Youth Development) an NGO working with youth in the Niger Delta. He is also the founding secretary of the Society for Relevant Art and Culture (SORAC), an art and culture development group in Port Harcourt Rivers State.

His work has appeared in journals such as Okike and he is the winner of the African Regional Prize 2005 Commonwealthy Short Story Competition.



Published originally in the British Council magazine, Crossing Borders


Italian translation published in the online magazine Buràn


Coming Home

by Ifeanyi Ajaegbo

The plane touched down with a shriek. The fuselage shuddered as rubber met with blacktop in a turbulent embrace, lifting momentarily into the air before settling again to the earth. I gripped the arm rest of my seat, hoping nothing would go wrong, wondering if this was how the last moments were before planes crashed.

By the time the plane got to the end of the runway, turned and started back towards the arrival lounge, I realised nothing would go wrong. I was only going through an anxiety attack. My palms felt clammy and hot as I looked out of the window at the heat hazed buildings of Kigali airport.

I had come back to Rwanda six years after I left at the height of the madness. I left because I could not stand the bloodshed, the sight of blood stained machetes, of heads severed from bodies and bodies dispossessed of their heads. The streets were littered with corpses in those days; some of them hacked so badly they looked like slabs of beef slashed up by a butcher for sale.  I left because I could not stand the haunting plea of those that would die, the screams, the stench of burning flesh, the sight of burning houses. I left because to stay meant a fate worse than a death of the body.

The plane stopped before a long low building. A huge sign painted with black letters on a white background said ‘Arrivals’. The door to the cockpit opened and the pilot and other members of the crew stepped out into view. He was smiling as he welcomed the passengers to Kigali, and to Rwanda. Most of the passengers ignored him, busy reaching into the overhead luggage bins to pull down hand luggage. Those who already had their bags, adjusted the straps as they shuffled towards the open doorway, eager to meet relations waiting at the airport buildings.

I made no move to get up from my seat, no move to reach into the luggage bin. I did nothing, just sat and watched others leave the plane. Taking deep breaths of the cool air, I willed the storm in my mind to be still. But the questions came, without answers.

Rosalie Gikondo was the love of my life before the madness started, before the days of the Inyenzi and the Inkotanyi. I knew her love before men called other men cockroaches to be killed and trees to be hacked down. I was Hutu. She was Tutsi. We had been neighbours at the university in Kigali, where her father, Dr. Gikondo, taught in same department as my father. They did not only teach together, were not just neighbours, but were friends. One a fiery Tutsi, whose every lecture was tinged with anecdotes on the equality of men, despite race, tribe or colour. The other, a quiet Hutu, whose view of life was coloured by an experience of the Almighty he had at a very early age. The experience left him with a profound belief that all men were equal before God. They were friends. They drank whisky and beer together at the senior staff club, and were often found in each others homes discussing not just campus politics, but the disturbing activities of proponents of Hutu power. My father was what was then called a moderate, meaning a Hutu who was not interested in killing or dispossessing Tutsi. He was a kind man, as much as Rosalie’s father was, despite his fieriness.

The madness that engulfed the rest of Kigali after President Habryamana’s death came to the campus one night the Interahamwe came with their songs of hate. They had come, they told bands of jubilant Hutu, people we had known on the campus before the madness, to cleanse the university of the stink of Tutsi cockroaches. To do this, they said, the cockroaches would have to be destroyed. That night, the Hutu who did not understand, danced to the words of hatred.

Unwamzi wa u n’ume    Our enemy is one
Turamzi                          We know him
N’umututsi                      It is the Tutsi.

Father and I listened to the chanting as the crowd of Interahamwe supporters turned into the road where we lived. I was not really surprised to discover father was more worried for the safety of Dr. Gikondo’s family than he was for us. We were Hutu. No one would touch us, though some of the other lecturers in the department had accused father of being too friendly with Tutsi. It did not take long for him to decide Dr. Gikondo and his family would be safer with us, in our house than in theirs.

Dr. Gikondo, Mahalia, his wife and Rosalie and Shante, his two daughters, were huddled together in their room; waiting for death they believed would take them that night. He was surprised that we came, and refused to come with us. He reminded father that the Interahamwe also killed Hutu, those who helped Tutsi. Father would not listen to him. We took Dr. Gikondo and his family back to our house, hiding along the low hedgerow, and passing through the dark pathway between the two houses like ghosts. I held Rosalie as we plodded through dew soaked grass and soggy leaves that shrivelled underfoot. Her slender body shivered close to mine, but I knew it was not from the cold. It was a warm night. 

We made it to the house without incident, though the night was lit by flames from burning houses. The houses belonged to Tutsi lecturers, friends of father’s and Dr. Gikondo. Even the crickets and the frogs that sang chorus in the darkness, fell silent that night. They gave up their dominance of the dark to fear filled screams that ended abruptly.  The ending of each scream could only mean one thing, but like everything in this night, we refused to talk about them.

Mother opened the kitchen door and we piled into the house, thankful we were not seen by the people out in the streets. She had been standing by the window, waiting for us to come back with or without Dr. Gikondo and his family. She closed the door after we came in and locked it. Then she followed us into the sitting room. The two men, Dr. Gikondo and my father went to the window. They peered around the edges of the drapes into the night. Though they said nothing when they came away from the window, we saw the fear in their eyes and knew that out there in the dark night, a dark madness reigned.

Unwamzi wa u n’ume   
The low gate built into the hedgerow rattled, the sound sudden, insistent and violent. Then we heard footsteps, the sound of several people racing around in our compound, perhaps towards the front door. No one was surprised when the knock that sounded like thunder came, followed by a guttural demand for the door to be opened. Father motioned to mother to take Dr. Gikondo and his family into the bedrooms. I looked at Rosalie. She was also looking at me. I saw the fear in her eyes, and tried as much as I could without talking to let her know it would be all right. Mother took Mahalia’s hand, and led them out of the sitting room. I watched them leave, praying that they would live through this night. Praying that we would live through this night.
I turned on time to see father walk towards the door. He stopped beside it and paused, as if he was listening to the men we knew were outside. The guttural demand came once more. Father pulled back the bolts, and turned the key in the lock and pulled open the door.

Several men in the multi-coloured dress of the Interahamwe stood before the door. They wore banana leaves on their heads, over their faces and around their waists. They carried wicked looking machetes dripping bright red blood on the pavement. The man in front shoved father back into the house, though not as roughly as they would have if he had not been Hutu and respected. They demanded for our identity cards. Father handed them over calmly. The leader looked at them, handed the cards back and told father they would search the house for his Tutsi cockroach friends. Father protested, saying he was not hiding Tutsi cockroaches. They pushed him towards the bedrooms, letting him understand that the death of one Hutu who loved and protected cockroaches did not mean much to them.

They found Dr. Gikondo and his family in my father’s room. Triumph was stencilled on the brows of the Interahamwe as they led their prize back to the sitting room, where I stood with father. Father insisted that they could not take away Dr. Gikondo. They took everyone outside instead, accusing father of being worse than even the cockroaches he was trying to protect. They led us to three trucks, separating the men from the women, the young from the old. That was the last I saw of my parents, and the last I saw of Dr. Gikondo, his family and Rosalie.

The last shots were heard in Rwanda more than six years ago. Peace or something closely resembling it had come back. But the old wounds were yet to heal well. I still saw pictures of cowering hulks of burnt houses, of jutting mounds of soil bulging where the earth could no longer hold the bodies in the mass graves. I heard people were still afraid to go out into the night, still afraid the shadows would devour flesh and life like it did six years ago. People still turned of lights and peered around the edges of drapes at the approach of strangers.

I waited till long after the last passenger had gone down the stairway, then reached above me into the luggage bin. I pulled down my small bag. I slung the strap over one shoulder and moved away towards the open door. I felt the heat the moment I stepped through the doorway onto the ramp. At the foot of the stairway, immigration officials looked at my travel documents. They stamped me through without much more than a glance. Still trying to recover from the genocide and the war, Rwanda welcomed visitors. I strode past the other airport officials, towards the arrivals lounge, my heart slamming against my ribs with each step towards my past and my destiny. Ahead, I saw the airport touts milling around. They were reputed to be able to do anything, from smuggling contraband to arranging for taxis into Kigali and other points south. Beyond that milling crowd, Rosalie waited.


I ducked through the low entrance to the arrivals lounge, into the cool welcoming embrace of the air conditioning system. I stopped just inside the doorway. If Rosalie had come, she would be here. I scanned the crowd, sweeping my gaze from the left towards the right.

I saw her standing beside the magazine stall. Her back was turned to me, but I knew it was Rosalie. She was looking at a magazine, perhaps as she killed time and waited till she had to go because I did not come after all. The last passengers on my plane must have passed through this lounge fifteen minutes ago. I looked at her back, straight and still slender in the long jean dress she wore. I looked at her long shiny hair, pulled into the pony tail I loved playing with. Nothing about her had changed. Nothing except that where her long slender arms had been, there were now stumps.

Perhaps she sensed my eyes on her back. Rosalie turned slowly till we were looking at each other. My breath caught in my throat when I saw she was even more beautiful than I remembered. Time had been kind to her, even though the Interahamwe and the war had not been. Rosalie’s mouth formed a small circle of surprise when she saw me, and she started smiling. She moved away from the book stand the same time I moved forward, away from the crowd milling around me. Her smile, though bright, was awkward, uncertain as she strode towards me.

We met half way across the room, walking into each other’s arms like strangers. We held each other, trying to find out how much we had changed, and when we discovered we were still almost the same people, clung to each other like we would be separated again. When I was able to push her away gently, I saw the tears in her eyes, running down her face. Looking into those eyes, seeing those dark nights we spent together among the flowers in the university gardens, and holding arms at the stumps, I knew I had come home at last.



Copyright information: All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in or introduced to a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise) without prior written permission of the British Council. Any person who does any unauthorised act in relation to this publication may be liable to criminal prosecution and civil claims for damages.


Tornando a cas

di Ifeanyi Ajaegbo, Nigeria
(traduzione di Rita Balestra)

L'aereo toccò terra stridendo. La fusoliera tremò quando la gomma e l'asfalto si incontrarono in un abbraccio turbolento, alzandosi per un momento nell'aria prima di posarsi di nuovo a terra. Afferrai il bracciolo del mio sedile, sperando che tutto andasse bene, chiedendomi se fosse così che trascorrevano gli ultimi istanti che precedono lo schianto di un aereo.

Quando l'aereo, arrivato alla fine della pista, girò e arretrò verso la sala degli arrivi, mi resi conto che tutto era andato bene. Avevo solo avuto un attacco di ansia. Sentivo i palmi delle mani appiccicaticci e accaldati mentre dal finestrino guardavo gli edifici dell'aeroporto di Kigali offuscati dall'afa.

Ero tornato in Rwanda sei anni dopo averla lasciata all'apice della follia. Ero partito perché non riuscivo a sopportare lo spargimento di sangue, la vista dei machete macchiati di rosso, delle teste recise dai corpi e dei corpi privati delle proprie teste. Le strade erano ingombre di cadaveri, in quei giorni; alcuni erano così brutalmente mutilati da sembrare grossi tranci di carne tagliati da un macellaio per essere venduti. Ero partito perché non potevo sopportare le suppliche ossessionanti di quelli che morivano, le grida, il tanfo della carne bruciata, la vista delle case incendiate. Ero partito perché restare significava una sorte peggiore della morte corporale.

L'aereo si fermò davanti a un lungo edificio basso. Un cartello enorme a caratteri neri su sfondo bianco diceva "Arrivi". Il portello della cabina di pilotaggio si aprì e il pilota, insieme agli altri membri dell'equipaggio, vennero fuori. Sorrideva mentre dava il benvenuto a Kigali, e in Rwanda, ai passeggeri. La maggior parte dei passeggeri lo ignorò, indaffarati a recuperare il bagaglio a mano dal vano portabagagli soprastante. Quelli che avevano già recuperato i bagagli, si sistemavano le tracolle man mano che si trascinavano verso l'uscita, impazienti di incontrare chi li attendeva all'aeroporto.

Non feci nessun movimento per alzarmi dal mio posto, nessun movimento verso il vano portabagagli. Non feci niente, rimasi seduto mentre guardavo gli altri lasciare l'aereo. Respiravo profondamente l'aria fresca, fermamente deciso a placare la tormenta nella mia testa. Ma le domande sorsero, senza risposte.

Rosalie Gikondo era l'amore della mia vita prima che la follia avesse inizio, prima dei giorni dell'Inyenzi(1) e dell'Inkotanyi(2). Conobbi il suo amore prima che gli uomini chiamassero gli altri uomini "scarafaggi" da uccidere e da appendere agli alberi. Io ero Hutu. Lei era Tutsi. Eravamo stati compagni d'università a Kigali, dove il padre, il dott. Gikondo, insegnava nello stesso dipartimento di mio padre. Non solo insegnavano insieme, non erano solo colleghi, ma erano amici. Uno, un ardente Tutsi, cui ogni lezione era permeata di aneddoti sull'eguaglianza tra gli uomini, nonostante la razza, l'etnia e il colore. L'altro, un tranquillo Hutu, la cui visione della vita era arricchita da un'esperienza dell'Onnipotente avuta in gioventù. Quell'esperienza gli lasciò la profonda convinzione che tutti gli uomini erano uguali davanti a Dio. Erano amici. Bevevano birra e whisky insieme al circolo dei decani e spesso si ritrovavano a casa dell'uno o dell'altro per discutere non soltanto della politica del campus, ma anche delle attività di disturbo dei sostenitori del potere Hutu. Mio padre era quello che allora veniva chiamato un moderato, ovvero un Hutu che non desiderava uccidere i Tutsi ed espropriare i loro beni. Era un uomo gentile, come lo era il padre di Rosalie, a dispetto del suo ardore.

La follia che travolse il resto di Kigali dopo la morte del Presidente Habryamana, arrivò al campus una notte con le canzoni di odio dell'Interahamwe(3). Erano arrivati; dissero a bande di Hutu giubilanti, gente che avevamo conosciuto al campus prima della follia, di ripulire l'università dal tanfo degli scarafaggi Tutsi. Per fare ciò, dissero, gli scarafaggi dovevano essere schiacciati. Quella notte, gli Hutu che non se ne rendevano conto, danzarono sulle note dell'odio.

Unwamzi wa u n'ume Abbiamo un solo nemico

Turamzi Sappiamo chi è

N'umututsi È il Tutsi.

Mio padre ed io prestammo ascolto ai canti appena la folla di sostenitori dell'Interahamwe svoltò per la via in cui abitavamo. Non fui molto sorpreso di scoprire che mio padre fosse molto più preoccupato per la sicurezza della famiglia del dott. Gikondo, di quanto non lo fosse per la nostra. Noi eravamo Hutu. Nessuno ci avrebbe toccato, sebbene alcuni degli altri docenti del dipartimento avessero accusato mio padre di essere troppo amico dei Tutsi. Non gli ci volle molto per decidere che il dott. Gikondo e la sua famiglia sarebbero stati più al sicuro con noi, a casa nostra, che nella loro.

Il dott. Gikondo, sua moglie Mahalia e le due figlie Rosalie e Shante si erano annidati nelle loro stanze, convinti che l'attesa della morte sarebbe finita quella notte stessa. Fu stupito del nostro arrivo e si rifiutò di venire con noi. Ricordò a mio padre che l'Interahamwe uccideva anche gli Hutu che aiutavano i Tutsi. Mio padre non lo ascoltò. Portammo il dott. Gikondo e la sua famiglia a casa nostra, nascondendoci lungo le basse siepi e attraversando come fantasmi il viottolo oscuro tra le due case. Io tenevo Rosalie mentre arrancavamo attraverso l'erba bagnata di rugiada e le foglie inzuppate che si accartocciavano sotto i piedi. Il suo corpo esile tremò vicino al mio, ma sapevo che non era per il freddo. Era una notte calda.

Raggiungemmo casa senza problemi, sebbene la notte fosse illuminata dalle fiamme delle case incendiate. Le case appartenevano a professori Tutsi, amici di papà e del dott. Gikondo.

Mia madre aprì la porta della cucina e ci infilammo in casa, grati per essere passati inosservati dalla gente nelle strade. Era stata in piedi alla finestra, in attesa che tornassimo con o senza il dott. Gikondo e la sua famiglia. Richiuse la porta dietro di noi e la sprangò. Poi ci seguì in salotto. I due uomini, il dott. Gikondo e mio padre, andarono alla finestra. Sbirciarono nella notte dai bordi delle tende. Non dissero niente quando si allontanarono dalla finestra, ma vedemmo la paura nei loro occhi e sapevamo che là fuori, nel buio della notte, regnava un'oscura follia.

Unwamzi wa u n'ume



Il cancelletto nella siepe sbatté, un rumore improvviso, insistente e violento. Poi udimmo dei passi, il rumore di gente che si affrettava nel nostro recinto, forse verso l'ingresso. Nessuno si stupì quando bussarono con un colpo che risuonò come un tuono, seguito da un ordine gutturale di aprire la porta. Mio padre fece cenno a mia madre di condurre il dott. Gikondo e la sua famiglia nelle camere. Guardai Rosalie. Anche lei mi stava guardando. Vidi la paura nei suoi occhi e cercai, senza parlare, di farle sapere che sarebbe andato tutto bene. Mia madre prese la mano di Mahalia e li condusse via dal salotto. Li guardai andarsene, pregando che scampassero a quella notte. Pregando che scampassimo anche noi a quella notte.

Mi voltai in tempo per vedere mio padre camminare verso la porta. Si fermò accanto ad essa e fece una pausa, come se ascoltasse gli uomini che sapevamo essere lì fuori. Di nuovo giunse quell'ordine gutturale. Mio padre tirò via i catenacci, girò la chiave nella serratura e aprì la porta.

Diversi uomini con il vestito variopinto dell'Interahamwe stavano in piedi davanti alla porta. Portavano foglie di banana sulla testa, sulla faccia e attorno alla vita. Impugnavano machete che gocciolavano sangue rosso vivo sul lastricato. Il primo di loro spinse mio padre dentro casa, per quanto non rudemente come avrebbe fatto se mio padre non fosse stato un Hutu e un uomo rispettato. Ci chiesero le carte d'identità. Mio padre gliele passò con estrema calma. Il capo le guardò, gliele restituì e disse a mio padre che avrebbero perquisito la casa per trovare i suoi amici scarafaggi Tutsi. Mio padre protestò, dicendo che non nascondeva scarafaggi Tutsi. Lo spinsero in direzione delle camere, facendogli capire che la morte di un Hutu che amava e proteggeva gli scarafaggi non significava niente per loro.

Trovarono il dott. Gikondo e la sua famiglia nella camera di mio padre. I volti degli uomini dell'Interahamwe erano trionfanti, mentre riconducevano il loro trofeo nel salotto, dove ero rimasto con mio padre. Mio padre insistette che non potevano portar via il dott. Gikondo. Invece portarono tutti fuori e accusarono mio padre di essere persino peggiore degli scarafaggi che cercava di proteggere. Ci condussero su tre camion, separarono gli uomini dalle donne, i giovani dai vecchi. Quella fu l'ultima volta che vidi i miei genitori, e l'ultima volta che vidi il dott. Gikondo, la sua famiglia e Rosalie.

Gli ultimi spari in Rwanda si erano sentiti più di sei anni prima. La pace, o qualcosa che le assomigliava molto, era tornata. Ma le ferite dovevano ancora rimarginarsi. Vedevo ancora le immagini delle carcasse accartocciate delle case incendiate, dei tumuli che straripavano dove la terra non riusciva più a contenere i corpi nelle fosse comuni. Sentivo che la gente aveva ancora paura di uscire la sera, che aveva ancora paura delle ombre divoratrici di carne e di vita come accadeva sei anni fa. La gente ancora spegneva la luce e sbirciava da dietro le tende all'avvicinarsi di qualche straniero.

Aspettai ancora a lungo dopo che l'ultimo passeggero fu sceso dalla scala, poi mi allungai verso il vano portabagagli. Tirai giù la mia piccola borsa. Issai la tracolla su una spalla e mi avviai verso la porta aperta. Avvertii l'afa nel momento in cui passai attraverso l'uscita sulla rampa. Ai piedi della scala, gli agenti dell'immigrazione esaminarono i miei documenti di viaggio. Li timbrarono senza rivolgermi più di un'occhiata. Il Rwanda dava il benvenuto ai visitatori, mentre cercava ancora di riprendersi dal genocidio e dalla guerra. A grandi passi superai gli altri impiegati aeroportuali, diretto alla sala degli arrivi, con il cuore che sbatteva contro le costole ad ogni passo verso il passato e il mio destino. Davanti, vedevo girovagare i bagarini dell'aeroporto. Avevano la reputazione di saper fare qualsiasi cosa, dal contrabbando al trasporto in taxi per Kigali e per altre destinazioni a sud. Oltre quella folla girovagante, Rosalie aspettava.

Mi chinai per passare attraverso la piccola entrata della sala d'aspetto degli arrivi, nel fresco benvenuto del sistema ad aria condizionata. Mi fermai proprio in mezzo al passaggio. Se Rosalie era venuta, era lì che l'avrei trovata. Scrutai la folla, scorrendo con lo sguardo da sinistra verso destra. La vidi in piedi accanto al chiosco dei giornali. Mi dava le spalle, ma sapevo che era Rosalie. Guardava una rivista, forse per ammazzare il tempo aspettando fino a quando sarebbe dovuta andarsene perché dopo tutto io non ero arrivato. Gli ultimi passeggeri sul mio aereo dovevano essere passati per questa sala d'attesa quindici minuti fa. La guardai di schiena, eretta e tuttavia esile nel lungo vestito di jeans che indossava. Guardai i suoi lunghi capelli lucenti, raccolti in quella coda di cavallo con cui mi piaceva giocare. Niente in lei era cambiato. Niente, tranne che al posto delle sue lunghe braccia affusolate, adesso c'erano dei moncherini.

Forse avvertì i miei occhi su di sé. Rosalie si voltò lentamente finché fummo uno di fronte all'altra. Il respiro mi si arrestò in gola quando vidi che era ancora più bella di come la ricordavo. Il tempo era stato benevolo con lei, anche se l'Interahamwe e la guerra non lo erano stati. La bocca di Rosalie formò una piccola O per la sorpresa quando mi vide, e cominciò a sorridere. Si allontanò dal chiosco dei libri nello stesso istante in cui avanzai, allontanandomi dalla folla che ruotava intorno a me. Il suo sorriso, benché luminoso, era imbarazzato, incerto, mentre mi veniva incontro.

Ci incontrammo a metà della sala, dirigendoci uno nelle braccia dell'altra come sconosciuti. Ci tenemmo stretti l'uno all'altra, cercando di scoprire quanto fossimo cambiati, e quando capimmo che eravamo sempre gli stessi, ci stringemmo forte come se stessimo per separarci di nuovo. Quando fui in grado di allontanarla da me delicatamente, notai le lacrime che le scendevano lungo il viso. Guardando dentro quegli occhi rivedevo le notti buie passate insieme tra le aiuole dei giardini dell'università e, afferrandola per i moncherini, compresi di essere finalmente tornato a casa.


(1)Inyenzi è un'abbreviazione di "ingangurarugo yiyemeje kuba ingenzi" che vuol dire, "il combattente dell'esercito Ingangurarugo che si è dato l'obiettivo di essere il migliore". (N.d.T.)

(2)Inkotanyi vuol dire "invincibile" , ed è l'appellativo dato all'esercito ribelle Tutsi. (N.d.T.)

(3)Interahamwe è la milizia rwandese più importante creata nel 1992 dai dignitari del potere Hutu. Significa in kinyarwanda: "quelli che combattono insieme". Furono responsabili di numerosi massacri durante il genocidio del 1994.

Pubblicato per gentile concessione del British Council e del magazine Crossing Borders

Testo segnalato da: Buràn
Versione originale: Qui




Centre for Transcultural Writing and Research, County College, Lancaster University, LA1 4YD, UK